Teacher education in Savonlinna was first provided in a teacher seminar, which was situated in the premises of Puistokadun Kansakoulu (‘Puistokatu folk school’), and during the years 1954 – 63 the teaching practice took place there as well.
Later on the seminar moved to its present location in Kuninkaankartanonmäki and the construction of its own practice school, the Seminar folk school, was started in 1961. The school building was completed in the spring 1963.
Until 1973 the school provided education in both a six-year education offering folk school and a two-year education offering civic school.
In the early 1970′s an education reform was carried out in Finland and as a result the Seminar folk school became a lower stage of comprehensive school in 1973. The school was given the name Savonlinnan harjoittelukoulu (Savonlinna practice school). At the same time the classes of former civic school were moved into municipal comprehensive schools in Savonlinna. At the end of 1970′s the school’s name was changed once again, when all the practice schools became ‘normal schools’ in order to be in line with the earlier established institution of normal lyceums (corresponding to today’s upper secondary schools). As a result the school was given its present name Savonlinnan normaalikoulu.
In the early 1980′s the school was expanded into its present stage ¾ a lower stage of comprehensive school with three parallel classes in each form. After the expansion school’s premises turned out to be insufficient and thus the school building had to be renovated and extended. The opening ceremonies of the new school building were celebrated in the spring 1986.
By now the school has been headed by five headmasters/ -mistresses or principals: Ms Sointu Strandman, Mr Jaakko Salminen, Ms Pirkko Salminen, Mr Kalervo Seppälä and Mr Petri Salo, the present headmaster being Mr Mikko Ripatti.